WANT TO ROCK YOUR SELF-TAPE AUDITION?
Lighting & Sound Set-Up
SENDING THE FILE
Here are some recommendations that some actors have found worked for their in-home set up. This set up is geared for those recording on their mobile phones.
- If your reader is at home with you, here's a mic that will pic up the sound for both of you: Microphone for iPhone
- If your reader is on Zoom, we recommend getting a lav mic to plug into your iPhone + a Bluetooth speaker placed near you so that your mic will also pick up your reader's voice. Here are the links to the full kit:
Mic-to-phone extension cable
- Softbox lighting kit and/or 18" Ring Light
- If you use a Ring Light, consider also getting a Diffuser
BACKDROP & STANDS
- Blue/Grey Portable Backdrop and Stand
- Tall tripod with mobile phone attachment to hold your iPhone at eye level
- iPad attachment for another tripod, if your reader is over Zoom and you want them to be eye level
Editing may not be necessary if the sound quality is good. But if you are tech savvy, here are two FREE editing programs that will allow you to adjust the sound:
Actors' Equity made a great instruction sheet for how to set high resolution on various phones + how to send videos in various programs. Check out the link for lots of useful and supportive information:
And here's a video we pulled from YouTube with more tips to get you comfortable with lighting equipment: